Tuesday, September 9, 2008

BEATLES 78 RPM / ABBA SPEAKS!

A Beatles 78? No it’s not The Beatles, but an early Spanish cover band. Ok, girls, start screaming, it’s Carlos Diaz – Granados Jr. y los Beatles sur Americanos! Now here’s the scoop. Although American record companies abandoned the 78 rpm record in 1960 – Spanish record companies continued to issue out 78 rpm records until about the mid 70’s. This particular record I bought brand new back in 1966 in one of our many local record shops. I remember they still had listening booths around back then. You would take your records into this booth, sit down, put on some headphones and play them on a turntable that was supplied by the store. If you liked the record you bought it, if not you put it back. Nice. This record is a cover of “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and on the flip side is “She Loves You,” yeah, yeah, yeah, ooops, sorry, I meant si,si,si.

ABBA speaks! And they have a lot to say! This was issued out to radio stations at the time they had recorded their ‘Visitors’ album which turned out to be their last. One of the last interviews? Possibly, but I don’t have a lot of info on this one except that it is a 2 record set issued in a blank white cover with black lettering. I have this in storage somewhere with a million other records so I’d have to look it up again. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do.

No comments: