Wednesday, October 15, 2008

SOME ALBUMS I OWN

We used to call them albums. LP’s. Loved them. I’ve got hundreds of these things left. Yes, mine are all originals from the era, not re-issues I’m proud to say. Bubble gum music was big in the 60’s and after watching The Archies on TV you had to have there albums. Somewhere I have a sealed copy of the ‘Everything’s Archie’ album with the little sticker promoting ‘Sugar, Sugar’ – but I have no picture of it yet. So here’s the Jingle Jangle album.


As a kid I grew up with the TV Batman show. This was by far the coolest kids record I’ve ever heard. My dad got this for me in 1966 and I’ve been rockin’ with it ever since. Members of Sun Ra and The Blues Project play on it. Too cool!


I was flying on Pan American airlines when I heard this cool track by a group called Kraftwerk. It was after all the edited version of Autobahn. I ran out and bought the album and took in the 22 minute version of this amazing electronic track! Released in 1974, this is my original record and I still listen to this.


I heard Tubular Bells before a portion of it was used in the film ‘The Exorcist.’ I always thought the opening of this was so cool and haunting. In the summertime I had a neighbor that played this on his patio speakers and I remember hearing it playing through the trees. That’s a weird memory I have of this one.


When this album came out I remember going to a record store and without hearing a note just looking at the cover. Rock & Roll. It’s all I needed. I bought it, took it home and blasted it on my stereo.
It was the late 60’s. The rest is history.

No comments: